Scouting is all about the healthy development of young people, preparing them for a constructive and active life ahead. From the time they start school, children as young as *five can become Joey Scouts. Older children and teens can join us along the way, even if they haven’t been involved in scouting before and adventurous adults of any age are always welcome as new leaders. Sound like an adventure you’d like to join? Here’s how you can jump into scouting!
Every person interested in joining our group will start with a trial Provisional membership of a few weeks or so first to see if scouting with us is for you. Sections meet every week during school terms and to get the most out of scouting it is expected that members attend every week and contact leaders if absent.
Sounds great, how do I get started?
1. Determine which section is suitable for your child:
*5-8 year olds are Joey Scouts who meet Wednesdays 6:30 – 7:30pm
8-11 year olds are Cub Scouts who meet Thursdays 6:30 – 8pm
11-14 year olds are Scouts who meet Tuesdays 6:30 – 8:30pm
14-18 year olds are Venturer Scouts who meet Mondays 7 – 9pm
* 5 yo Joeys must be enrolled in full time school
Scouting is an all year round activity, children may join at any time of the year if they are the correct age and once registered, membership continues until such time as we receive advance notice of resignation or transfer.
2. Contact us to let us know you would like to try scouting. While each section meets weekly during school terms, we are often out and about particularly in warmer months so it is always wise to call first to check if the relevant section will be at the hall.
3. Before coming along, please fill in the online application form and select 1st Byattunga Scout Group. The application will then come through to us to confirm the trial and as long as there is a spot it will be progressed to a Provisional membership so your child can fully participate in all Scout activities as part of their trial period.
Please note that if sections are full there may be a waiting list and you will be notified that your application will remain Pending. Members linking from younger sections (ie Joeys to Cubs, Cubs to Scouts etc.) will have priority.
Things to remember if you decide to come along are please make sure your child:
- wears enclosed shoes
- wears sun safe clothing (if it is suitable for school, it is suitable for scouts)
- brings a water bottle every time
- brings a hat for any outdoor activities